Monday 9 January 2012

Legs Eleven


Getting ready for a night out or a day of retail therapy can be tricky in the Winter as we seem to be stuck wearing trousers or denims as we don't want to get our pins out in the freezing cold, so what better way to bring some colour or pattern to an outfit - pretty tights of course!

This season a lot of the high end designers have added tights to their catwalk looks to really jazz up the most simplest of outfits. From Chanel to Prada the fashion world has been taken over by these leggy lovelies, and in homage here are some of my favourites from the high street.


Firstly I spotted Daisy Lowe wearing a pair of the Henry Holland suspender tights about two years ago. I fell in love with these, they covered the legs but added a certain sexiness and glamour to the outfit, I searched high and low for these and finally discovered they were from the House of Holland range. I finally found them and bought a pair for around €18/£15, considering I had never spent more than a €5/£3, this seemed a bit expensive. Over time they became more and more popular and could be found in the likes of River Island and Topshop, and like most other trends these brands created their own version of the tights and were selling them for half the price. They can now be found in most high street store, Primark being the the cheapest at just €4/£2.50. Recently both Rihanna and Selena Gomez have been seen rocking this look.





The next look I have enjoyed trying out was the bondage style tights as seen on Cheryl Cole when she performed on the X-Factor last year. Again this look was by designer brand Wolfard but over time the look has been tamed and prices have dropped, I found these ones from Primark at just €4/£2.50. The strips are more subtle and can be easily worn as part of your day or night look.




Adding a splash of colour can be so easily done by wearing a bright pair of tights. recently Sarah Jessica Parker was pictured in her turquoise tights whilst publicising her new film. Sometimes this can be hard to pull off as you don't want legs like a frog but by choosing the right shade it can really bring an outfit to life. I got this pink pair from Dunnes Stores, but they can be found everywhere from Topshop to your everyday supermarkets.



Normally us ladies will do anything to banish spots but this season they are on our clothes, from blouses to skirts as well as accessories from handbags to head scarfs. So why not add some to your legs instead. They look really quirky and the sheer tights still allow you to show some skin. Marks & Spencer have done some fab spotty styles as well as New Look and Primark. If you are conscious of your legs you can vary the size of spot from a tiny pin size dot to a larger polka dot. My favourite are these ones, the tights and spots are both black so they don't overpower you with too many things going on at once. Khloe Kardashian looks great in her take on the spotty tights, her spots are little hearts, very girly!


I am not a fan of flesh coloured tights, I don't see the attraction in shimmery legs when I could just put on a small layer of tan, but I have been drawn to this retro pair. I like the 1950's feel and they look really nice with a pencil skirt. They have that stereotypical secretary look, but I think this looks nice from time to time.


Adding some girly flowers is also a fun way to wear tights, a variety of styles can be found ranging in colour and all different types of flowers, however I wanted to try a toned down version of this style so I picked up this pair from Tesco. The small pattern keeps them simple, and the dark colour again doesn't make them too in-your-face.




My all time favourite tights, be they boring, are the plain Cosy Tights from Primark. They are just standard plain opaque tights, they come in navy, black and brown. They have a layer of thin fleece inside that keep your legs super warm throughout the day. They aren't bulky and don't seem much thicker than regular tights but once you wear this in winter you won't want to go back to your regular tights. I often wear skirts or shorts during the day and these are so cosy - as you would expect with a name like that! I would often wear socks over my tights if I was wearing boots and sometimes wear two pairs of tights, but with these I can throw on just one pair and I am set for the day. I think these were €5/£3 for one pair.



So there you have, my run down of my simple approach to wearing tights. Let me know what your favourite kinds are.

Happy Shopping

Sinead x

No comments:

Post a Comment